Aesthetic Dentistry Post-Op Home Care
Post-Operative Home Care Suggestions to Help Maintain Your Aesthetic Dentistry
You have completed your aesthetic dental treatment and must now help protect the investment you have made in your smile. As one can understand, there is no one regimen that will satisfy 100% of our patients. We have found the following helpful in protecting your dental health and aesthetic dental restorations for years to come:
- Brushing at least twice daily.
- An ultra soft tooth brush is highly recommended if you are to brush manually. When brushing, apply very light pressure and brush for at least two minutes.
- Use minimally abrasive toothpastes. “Extra whitening” toothpastes are often abrasive. We can provide you with some excellent toothpaste we have found quite successful.
- Floss properly and with regularity.
- Power, rotary toothbrushes such as the Braun Oral-B 3D Excel have been proven to be excellent home care devises, however, sonic powered toothbrushes such as Sonicare can potentially loosen cements or bonded materials over time.
- Use of a disclosing tablet can help show patients where plaque has been missed, especially around dental restorations.
- Use of a professional dispensed fluoride supplement gel or paste for home use can help decrease the chance for recurrent cavities under the restorations. A neutral sodium fluoride is the ideal product since acidulated phosphate fluorides are too acidic in nature and can have a negative effect on certain bonded restorations. We can give you a prescription for this or you may purchase directly from our office.
- Avoid breath mints, throat lozenges, hard candies, and etc. that can cause fracture or breakage of your dental work.
- Avoid hard substances such as peanuts, ice, bones etc.
- Visit our office at least twice a year and follow the instructions given to you by the dentists carefully.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding dental post-op care, please don’t hesitate to contact us.